Monday afternoon Prescott was splashing around in the bath when I heard my phone ring. I couldn't leave Prescott there so I just let the call go. When it immediately started ringing a second time, I picked up my wet little boy and went to answer. It was Jon.
'Alysa, one of the Lindner boys has been electrocuted. He is in an ambulance right now on the way to the hospital. I don't have any more information but Bryan (the dad) called to see if you would sit with Amy (the mom) at the hospital.' My heart stopped. Almost two years ago to the day, I received a very similar call from Jon as he finished doing CPR on a little boy who fell into a pool. That one didn't make it. Please, God. Please be with the Lindners and keep their boys from harm.
I quickly gathered my things and left for the hospital with Prescott. It turns out that Enoch, one of the Lindner's 2 1/2 year old twins, had stood on a cable in their apartment's courtyard and grounded himself on a fence. He sustained 2nd degree burns on his hands and feet (where he was touching the cable and fence) and his forehead. Amy was amazingly calm as she soothed her screaming son, trying to get him to lay still for various tests. She had found Enoch still connected to the fence and cable; when she knocked him free he wasn't breathing. I prayed for Amy and for Enoch as I watched her try to comfort and calm.
After several tests including an EKG of his heart, it looks like everything is normal. I am so thankful... there aren't words.
It has been two days now since I sat with Amy in the hospital and, for me, that shakiness is still just below the surface. Tonight I held Prescott close as he was falling asleep and deeply inhaled his baby scent, cherishing the feel of his soft skin. I can't imagine the panic that must have flooded Amy when she saw her baby boy lying lifeless on the ground. How does a mother ever let go again?
I think of what my own mother told me once. Children are a gift that are never really yours. You do the best you can while they are with you but, like Hannah in the temple, you have to open your arms and trust God for their care. I'm sure that is a lesson a parent learns repeatedly through life.
'Alysa, one of the Lindner boys has been electrocuted. He is in an ambulance right now on the way to the hospital. I don't have any more information but Bryan (the dad) called to see if you would sit with Amy (the mom) at the hospital.' My heart stopped. Almost two years ago to the day, I received a very similar call from Jon as he finished doing CPR on a little boy who fell into a pool. That one didn't make it. Please, God. Please be with the Lindners and keep their boys from harm.
I quickly gathered my things and left for the hospital with Prescott. It turns out that Enoch, one of the Lindner's 2 1/2 year old twins, had stood on a cable in their apartment's courtyard and grounded himself on a fence. He sustained 2nd degree burns on his hands and feet (where he was touching the cable and fence) and his forehead. Amy was amazingly calm as she soothed her screaming son, trying to get him to lay still for various tests. She had found Enoch still connected to the fence and cable; when she knocked him free he wasn't breathing. I prayed for Amy and for Enoch as I watched her try to comfort and calm.
After several tests including an EKG of his heart, it looks like everything is normal. I am so thankful... there aren't words.
It has been two days now since I sat with Amy in the hospital and, for me, that shakiness is still just below the surface. Tonight I held Prescott close as he was falling asleep and deeply inhaled his baby scent, cherishing the feel of his soft skin. I can't imagine the panic that must have flooded Amy when she saw her baby boy lying lifeless on the ground. How does a mother ever let go again?
I think of what my own mother told me once. Children are a gift that are never really yours. You do the best you can while they are with you but, like Hannah in the temple, you have to open your arms and trust God for their care. I'm sure that is a lesson a parent learns repeatedly through life.
________________
I wrote the above post before leaving for Mozambique but wanted to get Amy's permission before publishing it. Since then they have taken Enoch to South Africa to receive additional testing on his heart. The doctor says it is a miracle - that he is perfectly healthy and should have no future issues as a result. I am filled with thankfulness.
I wrote the above post before leaving for Mozambique but wanted to get Amy's permission before publishing it. Since then they have taken Enoch to South Africa to receive additional testing on his heart. The doctor says it is a miracle - that he is perfectly healthy and should have no future issues as a result. I am filled with thankfulness.
1 comment:
I still remember bathing my daughter in tears when she was 2-months old because a close friend lost her 6-month old. I cherish every day with my kids. They are growing up so fast, and they carry my heart.
Post a Comment