Thursday, May 15, 2008

Almost there…

I can’t believe how fast these past few weeks have spend by and now I am sitting in New York’s JFK airport waiting to get on our 15 hour flight to Johannesburg. Our daunting to-do list has been sufficiently depleted and although we were not completely ready to leave, I am crossing my fingers that we managed to think of and complete all the necessities. We now have five duffel bags packed full of clothes, camping gear, toiletries, Jon’s favorite coffee mug, and my big straw hat to keep the sun off my Scandinavian nose. Have no fear (for those who know me well and are panicking over my mental sanity because of my apparent book-less state), I have one whole carry on suitcase fully devoted to my love for reading (too heavy for the checked bags). Everyone who touches my bag (beloved uncle, father, mother, and husband included) makes fun of me for my 90 pound carry on but, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do – I’ll just have to charm Jon into lifting it into the overhead bins for me.

It was helpful to have friends and family members to help guide us during the past few weeks as they have suggested things that I never would have thought of. I was so caught up in packing, address changing, retirement account transferring, medical loose end finishing, immigration paperwork stamping, and making sure that all the people we love feel important that I forgot to think very far into the future. On Mother’s Day, in the midst of spending last moments with cousins, aunts and uncles, and family friends my dad pulled me aside and suggested that over the next two days Jon and I should discuss and write out instructions on how family in the States should handle any family emergencies. He suggested we discuss how and when we would like to be notified and have a preliminary decision as to what sort of action we would take (if both, one, or neither of us would fly home). We were also to write out copies of what we would like to happen if anything happens to us while in Africa and give copies of all this to both sides of the family. As an eternal optimist who doesn’t like to think about anything unfortunate happening, it was sobering to discuss the possibilities for friends, siblings, parents, and grandparents and realize how hard it could be if we were unable to be with our loved ones during tough times. As a child of the global age - with technology and ease of travel - the world usually feels so small. This discussion was the first time that I really felt how far away we will be in Botswana.

I have recently been asked what the most unusual part of the getting ready process was. Several things come to mind: having a seventeen page document detailing where all our possessions are scattered, trying to estimate how many sticks of my favorite deoderant I would need to bring for two years in a hot climate, and trying to guess which kinds of unusual items would be worth bringing (like solar ovens and desert gardening books). But, by far the most unusual experience was in taking the medical portion of the immigration paperwork to the doctor and asking them to certify that I am not: an idiot, an imbecile, a feeble-minded person, an epileptic, having a previous attack of insanity, suffering from constitutional psychopathic inferiority, nor suffering from chronic alcoholism. The doctor even photo copied my form so she could hang it on her wall - she hadn't seen anything like it in her 30 years of practice! Turns out, if you consult the dictionary, being an idiot, and imbecile, and a feeble-minded person are not all the same - learn something new every day.

People have also been asking what the hardest part of getting ready has been and, without question, it was saying goodbye to everyone. I think it was especially hard as most of our family and close friends lived several hours from Milwaukee – there was pressure to do a good job of catching up so we would be ready to say goodbye at the end of the few hours we had together. The past month we had so many people come to visit us in Milwaukee or make time for us while we were up north, it was wonderful to see everyone. We leave feeling very loved and supported, it is incredible to see what a community of people we have coming with us in their thoughts and prayers. I have never felt less alone.

No comments: